Thank you for your interest in employment with the Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority. VPPSA is an equal opportunity employer.
There are several positions currently available, please scroll down to see all.
Please follow the directions for application for each position as noted . If an employment application is required, you may click on “About VPPSA” above, click on “Employment” then click on “Application for Employment” and complete the online application or click here to download and print the employment application. The application may be mailed to the address on the application, or faxed to 757-259-9855. Applications are also available at:
- VPPSA Field Office, 374 Faraway Road, Rt 705, Saluda, VA
- VPPSA Administrative Office at 475 McLaws Circle, Suite 3B, Williamsburg, VA (757-259-9850)
- Compost Facility at 145 Goodwin Neck Rd in Yorktown, VA (facility is behind York County offices)
- Any VPPSA site
All positions are open until filled. VPPSA is a smoke free, drug free workplace. EOE
DIRECTOR of OPERATIONS
The Director of Operations plans, designs, constructs, operates, and administers the solid waste operations and services provided to the member communities including recycling, composting, waste collection, transfer and disposal. Provides immediate supervision to operations supervisors and second and third level supervision of the facility operating personnel and contractors. Reports to the Executive Director.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for staffing of the facilities, hiring of contractors, and supervision of VPPSA employees and contractors
- Coordinates the actions of recyclables processing, composting, waste transfer, and landfilling for a region of 362,343 population
- Represents VPPSA in discussions with professional engineering and design firms, contractors, equipment suppliers, and the general public with regard to the operation of VPPSA facilities
- Prepares plans, specifications for construction project, and equipment procurement. Performs purchasing duties
- Develops cost estimates, budget, schedules of expenditures and other financial operating information for the facilities
- Administers personnel policies and actions for the VPPSA facility operating staff, including developing job descriptions, supervision of hiring and evaluation, and other related activities
- Serves as injury coordinator and administers workers compensations cases
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in civil engineering or related solid waste field, a minimum of 5 years’ experience in solid waste including design, construction, and operation of solid waste facilities; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Waste Management Facility Operator License Class l preferred.
The position has a starting salary of $75,000 or higher based on work experience. The compensation package includes comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, paid leave, and designated paid holidays. VPPSA is a participating member of the Virginia Retirement System.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to David Magnant at email@example.com.
AT THE COMPOST FACILITY in YORKTOWN
Full time position with excellent benefits including health insurance, retirement, and paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Equipment Operator II – operate and maintain loaders, screens, grinders & windrow turner. Performs and keeps track of maintenance on all equipment, both daily and monthly service. Interacts with the public. Requires 1 year experience or combination of training and experience. Starting salary $13.26 per hour. Application required.
ON THE MIDDLE PENINSULA
Full time positions with excellent benefits including health insurance, retirement, and paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
MAINTENANCE MECHANIC I
Performs maintenance of vehicles, solid waste compactors and other equipment for five-county regional solid waste system and Compost Facility in York County.
Requires minimum five years repair and maintenance experience including knowledge of hydraulic repairs. Must have tools.
Click here for job description. Starting salary $18 per hour or higher DOQ.
Submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Director of Operations at 475 McLaws Circle, Suite 3B, Williamsburg, VA 23185. Open until filled. VPPSA is a drug-free, smoke free workplace. EOE
Attendants – to assist residents with solid waste and recycling needs at Middle Peninsula sites. Attendants will also participate in Household Chemical events.
Positive attitude, good public relations skills, ability to travel to locations in King William, King & Queen, Essex, Middlesex and Mathews counties. Requires high school graduation or equivalent combination of training and experience which demonstrates the required skills, knowledge and abilities. Convenience Center Attendants starting salary $9.75 per hour. Application required.